Time for everybody to hop back onto the Colorado Rockies bandwagon after collecting their first series victory since June 13-15th where they swept the San Francisco Giants. Or, maybe not. It’s refreshing to see the team play well in a series and hopefully they can build on this two game winning streak.
Rockies starter Jair Jurrjens logged only 4.2 innings, but only limited the Padres offense to three runs. Jurrjens would give up a pair of solo home runs of his own to Jake Goebbert and ex-Rockie Seth Smith in the fourth and fifth inning respectively.
The Rockies would use the long-ball to earn the victory in the series finale. Wilin Rosario would tag a solo shot in the fourth inning while Drew Stubbs notched his 9th home run of the season in the eighth inning with a two-run home run.
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki would follow-up Stubbs home run with a back-to-back shot, collecting his second home run of the game and his 20th of the season.
LaTroy Hawkins would come in for the ninth inning, collecting his 17th save of the season as he has been fantastic for the Rockies bullpen that has been inconsistent to say the least. Hawkins is now 17/18 on the season in save opportunities which is providing to be a great signing in the offseason.
Notable Rockies Hitters:
- Charlie Blackmon: 2-for-4, HR, RBI, R.
- Drew Stubbs: 1-for-4, 2-run HR, 2 RBI’s.
- Troy Tulowitzki: 2-for-4, 2 HR’s, 2 RBI’s.
- Wilin Rosario: 1-for-4, HR, RBI.
- Kyle Parker: 1-for-3, first Major League hit.
- Jair Jurrjens: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO. 96 pitches, 58 strikes.
- Tommy Kahnle: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 SO.
- Rex Brothers: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 SO.
- Boone Logan (W, 2-1): 1.0 IP, 1 SO.
- LaTroy Hawkins (S, 17): 1.0 IP, 1 BB.
The Colorado Rockies will return to action Friday night where they will be taking on the Minnesota Twins in an interleague series. Jorge De La Rosa will take the mound for the Rockies at Coors Field while the Minnesota Twins pitcher is TBA.